1. Do I need a degree in psychology to apply to the Community program?

No, people with many types of backgrounds can be admitted to the Community Psychology program. If your degree is in a field other than psychology, it would be helpful if you have taken the following psychology-related courses, including introductory psychology, community psychology, research methods, and statistics.

2. Does the Community Psychology program offer clinical training?

No. This is research-focused program in community psychology. Our students are trained to become researchers rather than clinicians.If you are interested in receiving clinical training you might consider applying to the Community Psychology program in conjunction with the Clinical Psychology program.

3. Is the Community Psychology program APA accredited?

The American Psychological Association (APA) only accredits practice-oriented programs (e.g., clinical, counseling, and school psychology). Research-focused programs such as ours are not accredited. UMBC’s Clinical Psychology program is APA accredited and all student enrolled in the Clinical Program, including those taking combined training in Clinical Psychology and either Behavioral Medicine or Community Psychology, fall within the accredited portion of the HSP program.

4.  When I apply, should I identify a faculty member that I’m interested in working with?

Identifying a potential mentor is strongly recommended but not required.

5.   What percentage of students receive financial assistance?

100 percent of our students receive tuition waivers and assistantships or fellowships for at least the first four years of training.