This pertains to a Graduate School policy in which graduate students need special permission to
register for more than 10 credits*. This is NOT related to issues of funding.
For purposes of The Graduate School policy, it is the total number of credits (not billable credits,
etc.). Unfortunately, GRAD 601 (a 0-credit, 0-cost course) does matter here (it is functionally
treated like 5 credits by the software).
All graduate students, regardless of program or funding need special permission to register for
more than 10 credits. The following reflects the most current (Fall, 2021) process for obtaining
permission to register for more than 10 credits in the semester. Note that The Graduate School
changes this policy so what worked in prior years differs slightly from what is suggested now.
It is assumed the courses you plan to register for are needed for the degree and in the program in
which you are enrolled (ABA, ADP, and/or HSP). If you intend to take a course that is NOT
listed as a required or elective course in your program manual, please discuss this with your
academic mentor and GPD before attempting to register in the course.
It is also assumed that you have confirmed your intended course load with your academic
mentor in advance (this should have happened a while ago when providing your intended course
plan for the current Academic Year).
Assuming you are planning to register for more than 10 credits, you should follow these steps:
- Register for as many classes as you can (this will necessarily be less than 11)
- Directly email Dr. Jeffrey Halverson, Associate Dean of the Graduate School at (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your request to register for excess credits
- Please copy Kerrie Jenkins (KerrieJ1@umbc.edu) or Kimberly Boeve (email@example.com) on the email
In the email, please include the following:
- Your student ID number
- Each course number (I.e., Psyc 666) you were able to register for and include:
- The section number (I.e. 01)
- The class number (I.e. 7121)
- The credit value of each course
- The course number, section and class number of the course(s) you need permission to register for.
Also indicate in the email that the courses are necessary for the completion of your degree along with the statement that your mentor has approved the excess credit request. Provide your mentor’s name and email address. ALL requests for excess credit enrollment require your mentor’s approval, so please get permission FIRST.
Dr. Halverson will reach out to the Registrar’s Office to request permission on your behalf. In the
past, he has used the RT Ticket system (and copied you on the request). Note: If he has a
question, it is assumed he will contact you, Kerrie/Kimberly, or your mentor
Important: This process provides permission to register; you must still register for the course.
Watch your UMBC email for the RT ticket update giving you permission to add the additional
course(s) and then please do so. This usually happens within 1-3 days.
If you have any questions please send an email to Kerrie/Kimberly. In the email, please cc: your
academic mentor and GPD, so they may be kept in the loop.
* If you need to register for more than 15 credits, you must contact your GPD in advance (and
cc: your mentor) to discuss the intended course load.